Wednesday, June 06, 2007

+299 Mycobacteria Chelonae

The bacteria was identified on Saturday, June 2. It's called Mycobacteria Chelonae. There is plenty of info on the Internet. Dr. Argawal said the type of bacteria is a good one to have considering the other species of rapid growth mycobacteria. I think she means it is easy to treat. Take that with a grain of salt. Dr. Dvorak told me it is likely he will be on antibiotics for 6-9 months!

The CT scan of his lungs will happen on June 21. If the results show the nodules on his lungs have resolved, they will pull his PICC line and start oral antibiotics - those oral antibiotics will go for 6-9 months. The infectious disease doctors (the bacteria is not infectious by the way) want to see a reduction in his immunosuppressors before they decrease the amount of time he will be on antibiotics.

He's been doing fine on 1ml of Prednisolone (steroid/immunosuppressor). No rash or GVHD.

Thank you for your prayers! We are so happy David is still with us to celebrate his third birthday! By the grace of God, He helped me create a special birthday video for him. I did not have a manual for the software and I had no clue what I was doing. I put it together in one day. I hope you enjoy it.

No comments: