Saturday, April 12, 2008

High Blood Pressure

Blood Pressure 130/85 - way too high for a child

Michael took David to Stanford for me today so I could attend a Homeschool Leadership Conference.

David received IVIG (Gammanex) and Zenopax. I put EMLA creme on both hands and in the crease of both elbows. They were able to find a vein in the crease of this elbow. All went well thankfully. He is going to Zenopax every three weeks.

However, his blood pressure was high again. It's been running high for about 1 month. Dr. Argawal said it is due to the Prograf and Prednisolone. It is my understanding that these drugs have a cytotoxic effect on the vascular endothelium, and damage the cells.

He is on one more medication for high blood pressure. The pharmacists says he may feel tired because the drug causes relaxation, but this has not stopped David. Again, I mix it with Spicy Apple Cider from Trader Joes and he cannot tell the difference.

I've been using the topical steroids and I think they are working. He is having a little flare up so I will have to buckle down and use the topical cremes twice/day. It's not easy applying topical creme to a squirmy 3 yr old and I don't have a lot of extra time to do this. It's really a hassle.

No comments: